Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The Haven

I added a blog to my account called The Haven. It's a place to put all the pictures I take and collect that I don't put on here.

In addition to that...

...I have been thinking about joining the AFROTC (Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps). For the life of me, I don't know why. The idea is just appealing to me, although in my heart I know I'm not meant for the military lifestyle. I'm too much of a thinker... not enough of an empty vessel for their "I own your ass" ideals. Plus, my fantasy of becoming a musician would become pretty much completely extinguished if I abandoned it to go play soldier. Maybe I'm just romanticizing the military. It's not all that romantic, I know... One of Dean's friends, John, was talking to us about his experiences as a pilot in the Air Force, and it isn't all that glorious. He's had a fulfilling life, but some of the consequences seem a bit unsavory. For example, he has a constant buzzing in his ears because of the guns and bombs and stuff going on around him. Not exactly great. I'm just not that excited to have to be in a combat zone... if I was stationed somewhere that wasn't a warzone, then that would be fine, but I don't think I'd be able to hack it under those circumstances.


Other than that, I've got the musical to concern myself with. I've gotten my parts down to where I don't really need to focus on them a whole lot. I still practice at home, but during my lessons, we don't really work on it anymore, because I just don't need to. So we work on other things, like one of my German pieces, An Die Musik. It's coming along nicely.

Today I didn't do a whole lot; mostly set up The Haven, messed around with my myspace template, and went out in my front yard to take some pictures of stuff. I have some gorgeous yellow and white roses growing through the weeds (which , due to my mothers' and my efforts, are receding slowly), so I took a couple pictures of them.

I'll probably update The Haven later, putting on some recent pictures. My camera has the capability to record up to an hour of film as well with excellent quality, but both Youtube and Myspace won't upload them for me... The files are too big, or some such rot. The films themselves are all less than five minutes long, so I don't know why they won't upload... I'll have to investigate and find another way to get them online.

Our houses are such unwieldy property that we are often imprisoned rather than housed in them. -Henry David Thoreau

No comments: